Followers

Monday, September 03, 2007

Searching for Santa Fe

Feeling a bit nostalgic, maybe even a little misplaced here in the dripping humidity. Trying to keep my memories of it more than a sillouetted chalk drawing, I found this email I sent to friends and family back east during my last week there. I do not know if I will ever get to spend more than a few weeks there, or if I will ever go back. But there is nothing like knowing there is still a piece of me there, among the dusty sunsets and bristled sagebrush. This is my account from my last day--I hope you all get to find your own Santa Fe--I hope I get to go back.


So my time in this mystical city has come to an end. I spend
one final night atop this little mountain before being shuttled off to
Albuquerque tomorrow morning. It is bittersweet, as I look forward to
reuniting with Aaron and Lola, but am sad to bid farewell to this
spectacular place that has given me a home for the past six weeks. The
sunsets are the most majestic I have ever seen, and will miss watching
the sky turn from blues, to magentas and ambers and finally violet
across the San de Cristo mountain range. The weather has even begun to
change and our nights are filled with the cool breezes that they
promised at the start of summer. The apricot tree outside my window
has dropped all its fruit and the bunnies are having a feast! Of all
the places I have spent time, Santa Fe has truly been one of the most
inspiring for my writer bug. Between the adobe facades and the Native
American cultures I cannot help wondering how so much of this country
has lost its roots. (the only Bush bumper stickers are those that say,
"BUSH- CHENEY 1984) The borders between
countries seem lost or nonexistent in many places here. It's humbling
to walk down the street as a white person and be a minority. So as I
prepare to fly back east I hope that I have been able to capture the
essence of this place in my pixels and words. I'm aware that no matter
what is said or seen in glossy light will be the shadows of this
accidental oasis. So I hope you all have the privilege to visit Santa
Fe, and if you already have, come back. I look forward to seeing you
all and telling you more stories of this adventure when I get home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.