Followers

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Experience vs. Liberty


My first day of class was yesterday afternoon--it was definitely something to write home about. The cap for the class size here is 6, with an exception for the Shakespeare page to stage class, which is 12. On the information sheet we received upon arrival, professors gave nice, detailed instructions as to when and where they'd be meeting the class. Ours simply said, " Walk past Brown's restaurant and the Catholic church and 2:00 and I'll be looking out for you" (insert furrowed brow and re-read). I intermittently asked around if anyone knew this man (just enough to seem intrigued, but not enough to come off as desperate) until finally my right-sided lunch buddy said, "Yes (pause), he's very British". I asked if he wore a monocle or used a scarf covered cane and unfortunately my hopes were dashed when he informed me that no, he merely swaddled his shoulders with rabbit fur.

So begins my anticipation of Dr. West. We've been informed that Oxford professors, or any British professor for that matter, is called a Doctor, and if we choose to refer to them as professors, we'll be quite "daft". I am not making this up, and not using these words to sound Oxfordian. It turns out Dr. West has the ability to melt the fear within all six pupils as he chatted to us about his compulsive coffee drinking, his work at "The Other College" and his admittance that this particular course is a new adventure for him as well (not to be mistaken as a newbie in any sense--he's been a teacher at Oxford and Cambridge for quite some years, yet usually focuses on Milton). Our regular meetings are usually twice a week, in his office at his "home" Oxford college. Oxford contains 39 colleges, each one focusing on a different subject matter or age level.

Today was spent studying--and vigorously trying answer the questions he posed to all of us yesterday. The one that continues to throb in my head, though, has to do with experience vs. liberty. I come back to this because I believe there might be some truth behind the claim that it is impossible to achieve ultimate liberty beneath the layers of experience. For myself, this is in the form of understanding expectations of this program and the knowledge of the difficult tasks that lie ahead of me. Academically, I cannot be fooled by Dr. West's warmness and comfort-ability--and this is not as dire as it might sound to some of you--rather, a little bit of pride that gleams with each summer successfully completed. Yet, on the other hand, a slight twinge of sadness when I begin to understand that this is not, in fact, Hogwarts. It's finding the balance between the two that will be a challenge, and that balance means the difference between living a solitary life, and one of sinful balance (insert smiley face) but if ever there was a place to seek this out, it is here.

"The world was all before them, where to choose
Their place of rest, and Providence their guide:
They hand in hand with wand'ring steps and slow,
Through Eden took their solitary way" P.L. XII 646-49

3 comments:

khkshimabukuro said...

While I would practically bend in homage of an Oxford Don, it sounds like you have the perfect guide, asking the great questions about my favorite author. That's part of why I love him- there are no small questions when talking about Milton!

Anonymous said...

Goodness.  "It is impossible to achieve ultimate liberty beneath the layers of experience".  I think that may be both painfully true and salvative.  

Anonymous said...

Jessica:
This class sounds like it will stretch you culturally and intellectually but remember you bave what it takes to perform very well. Don't be too taken in by the heavy British accents....sometimes I think they are meant to intimidate as much as to impress.
Just remember you have good Dakin stock from Yorkshire and you can hold your own against any Don.
It will be interesting to hear your reactions as the term progresses. Enjoy!
Julie Ann